Tuesday, January 10, 2012

In appreciation of Billy Squier




Ok, so this may sound "out of the blue" but Billy Squier never gets any respect. Last night I was listening to the local classic rock station and heard "Lonely is the Night" by Billy Squier. To be honest it was the first time I'd heard one of his songs in a long time. I had forgotten how great Billy Squier was (is?).

Hearing that song took me back to 1982 and my sophomore year of high school when my friend Jeff and I went to see Billy Squier at the Lloyd Noble Arena in Norman, Oklahoma. I believe it was the "Emotions in Motion" tour. Funny thing was, neither of us were really fans of him at the time. I mean we'd both heard "The Stroke" and seen a few videos on MTV but that was about it. I can't even remember the details surrounding our getting tickets. Maybe Jeff's mom bought them for us or something - I can't remember. Anyway, we both left that concert Billy Squier converts. In fact, to this day, that was one of the best concerts I've seen. He and his band just rocked! No heavy metal trappings (which my friend and I were totally into at the time), no huge light show, no theatrics - just great melodic hard rock. It was one great song after another with great guitar work throughout the set.

For whatever reason, Mr. Squier isn't in the limelight much anymore. I'm not sure why. I guess he's recently done Ringo Starr's all-star tour but this guy needs to be out on the road because, frankly, I'm sure he could still out rock most of the groups out there. Do yourself a favor and go buy a Billy Squier CD today. You won't be sorry. And Billy, where are you man? We'd love to see you!

1 comment:

  1. Was my first concert and was awesome! Was 4th row center on the floor. 😁

    ReplyDelete